Can soup get moldy

Beware of mold on bread! Then you should throw away food

Annoying when food is covered in mold within a few days. But are bread, jam and fruit spoiled right away? And is it dangerous to eat moldy foods?

Cut off or throw away? Almost everyone asks themselves this question when they discover mold on jam, toasted bread or cheese. While the grandmother simply cut out the moldy areas and then handed the apple over for consumption, experts advise disposing of moldy food. But not all goodies with greenish-whitish spots have to go straight to the trash.

We tell you when mold can become a health hazard and how you can prevent it.

Invisible poison

As soon as a greenish-white spot becomes visible on quark, sausage or sauces, caution is advised. Because with the naked eye it cannot be seen whether a fungus forms toxins or not. In general, the following applies: "The higher the water content in the food, the faster the poison spreads in it", according to the Berlin consumer center. Another danger: substances that are harmful to health, such as the so-called mycotoxins, are not only contained in the visible fungal lawn but also invisibly in the deeper layers of the food.

You shouldn't consume these foods anymore

Cutting off or scratching an infected area does not remove all harmful spores. These foods should be thrown away when they get moldy:

  • loaf
  • vegetables
  • Preserves
  • compote
  • jam
  • (soft) fruit
  • juice
  • Soup
  • Sauces

Due to the high water content, the mold can spread quickly here - in some cases the kohlrabi or strawberry is already heavily penetrated by the poison, although only a small point can be seen on the outer skin. For this reason, you should no longer use such fruit for the preparation of compotes or jams, according to the Bavarian State Ministry for Environment and Consumer Protection.

info
Even if the mold on the jam is on the upper edge of the glass, you should dispose of the entire product. Spores may already have spread in the lower part.

However, you should also dispose of certain dairy products immediately if mold forms. These include:

  • cream cheese
  • yogurt
  • Milk and milk drinks (kefir, buttermilk, whey)
  • Quark
  • cut cheese
  • Soft cheese

According to consumer experts, the same applies to meat and sausage products such as tea sausage and other types of spreadable sausage or Lyoner, mortadella, hunting sausage.

You can eat these foods despite mold

But there are also foods that you can still eat despite the moldy spot. These include, for example

  • Hard cheeses such as parmesan,
  • Emmentaler as well
  • air-dried ham and sausage.

It is important that you remove the mold generously and over a large area. Then try to see if the taste of the food has changed. If so, it would be better to dispose of it. If it still tastes perfect, you can consume the food without any problems.

How dangerous is mold to health?

In everyday use it is not possible to tell whether a type of mold is harmless or not. "There are molds that form extremely toxic and sometimes carcinogenic substances (mycotoxins)," said consumer advocates. Other fungal toxins can damage the kidneys and weaken the body's defenses.

Mycotoxins are so dangerous because they can cause severe damage to the immune system as well as the liver and kidneys. If mycotoxins are absorbed over a longer period of time, they can, among other things

  • have a carcinogenic effect,
  • lead to fertility problems and
  • damage the genetic make-up.

info
However, mycotoxins can also have an antibiotic effect. This is partly used in medicine (penicillin).

And even more harmless types of fungus harbor certain dangers: "Through direct contact, especially when inhaling mold spores, immunocompromised persons could suffer fungal infections of the respiratory tract. Even allergy sufferers, for example, inhaled mold spores from household waste or leftover food cause problems."

Mold is particularly dangerous on corn, dried figs, spices, pistachios, peanuts, hazelnuts or Brazil nuts. This is where the mycotoxin subspecies aflatoxins are formed. Even small amounts of these substances are harmful to health.

Eaten mold? You should do that now

If you accidentally eat moldy food, this is often not a problem for your health - as long as the amounts are small and your immune system is intact. After consumption there may be either no symptoms or a mild to moderate gastrointestinal upset. In rare cases, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting occur. However, after rest and sufficient fluid intake in the form of unsweetened, stomach-calming herbal teas, the symptoms should subside quickly. If this is not the case, it is better to consult a doctor.

If you have consumed large amounts of a moldy food, you can take a charcoal tablet.

Children, pregnant women and people with a weakened immune system in particular should be careful and, under certain circumstances, consult a doctor.

This is how you prevent mold growth

So that the supply in the refrigerator or bread box is not attacked by mold in the first place, you can prevent premature spoilage with the help of simple tips.

  • If you buy food as fresh as possible, in small quantities and use it soon, you will significantly reduce the risk of mold.
  • When shopping, make sure that you "buy fruit and vegetables that are as intact as possible - that is, without injuries and bruises," advises the consumer advice center.
  • At home, food should be stored in a clean, cool and dry place.
  • Bread boxes and similar storage boxes should be cleaned and wiped with vinegar water at least once a week.
  • Bread or cheese crumbs should be removed regularly as they encourage mold to grow.

Good mold

Fortunately, not all mold is necessarily dangerous to humans. On the contrary: molds can be useful for humans. Without them, for example, certain types of cheese such as Camembert or Roquefort and meat products such as salami would not taste at all. The reason: Here the mushrooms have a preservative effect during production and are responsible for the formation of aromas.

Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.

more on the subject

  • Subjects:
  • Food safety,
  • Food hygiene,
  • Toxins,
  • Mold,
  • Mould,
  • Food,
  • Consumer protection,
  • Consumer advice center,
  • Camembert,
  • Kohlrabi,
  • Sustainability,
  • Immune system,
  • Rubbish,
  • Strawberries,
  • Herbal tea,
  • Figs,
  • Diarrhea,
  • Salami,
  • Quark,
  • Sausage,
  • Vomit