Who invented T cells
CAR T cells
October 28, 2019 was a Monday, Herbert Schopper remembers it exactly. It was the day on which the now 72-year-old received an infusion with CAR-T cells: a product made especially for him, a “living” drug with billions of his own immune cells - equipped to fight cancer. Herbert Schopperschon had received the diagnosis - aggressive lymph gland cancer with involvement of the stomach - in 2012 as soon as he had retired. "At that time I suddenly vomited an unimaginable amount of blood at night and was taken to the hospital by an emergency doctor," reports the patient. Several chemotherapies followed - all three at first, then every two weeks at the end - and irradiations over and over again. Finally, Herbert Schopper underwent high-dose chemotherapy followed by an autologous stem cell transplant. That means: Herbert Schopper's own stem cells should rebuild his blood-forming bone marrow. But every three years the horror came back - as a recurrence in the appendix.
“At some point I had no more strength for chemo and no hope either,” says Herbert Schopper. At the end of 2019, his oncologist recommended that he be treated with CAR-T cells in Medical Clinic 5 - Hematology and Internal Oncology. “For me there was - as they say - no alternative. Anyone striving for a cure has to agree to this new treatment at some point, I think. Otherwise the stairs will only go downhill. "After the pensioner had met all the requirements for CAR T cell therapy, he decided on the new treatment - and on the stairs upstairs.
Until spring 2020 were in Erlangen 15 Cancer patients treated with CAR-T cells - one of them was Herbert Schopper. Significantly more patients are expected to join in the course of 2020.
“CAR-T cells are currently only suitable for patients with certain B-cell lymphomas and B-cell leukemia who have already had several chemotherapy or other treatments, but where the disease flares up again and again and so the chances of survival are high minimized. Nevertheless, those affected should be in good general condition. The circulation must be stable, the heart and kidneys should function normally, ”explains Prof. Dr. Andreas Mackensen, Director of Medicine 5, the complex selection of suitable candidates. However, age is not necessarily the decisive factor: the patients who have previously received CAR-T cells at the University Clinic Erlangen were between 18 and 80 years old.
- When does BTS take a break
- Which full-screen camera lens should you buy?
- Why is bipolar 1 incurable
- Which is greater than 99 or 1
- Are there rewritable CD-DVD-BD data carriers?
- How easy is a German visa
- Can PPSSPP run all PS games
- Should men be able to do housework
- PowerPoint Restore How to restore PowerPoint files
- Does the statistics justify discrimination?
- How often should I change Betta water
- Means school college in Great Britain
- How do you transpose a 3x3 matrix
- What is the Washington Monument made of
- An epillator blackens the skin of a girl
- Cost literary agents money
- Are you stuck on meth?
- What is the longest ongoing advertising campaign
- How was the board exam for class 12
- Are state lotteries good for the economy?
- What are the benefits of long walks
- Why do you like San Ramon CA.
- Is ORM stronger than Aquaman
- Why should anyone take InfoWars seriously?