Why do two oceans never mix
Do the different oceans mix with one another?
The Arctic Ocean, Pacific and Atlantic are separated by continents, but by no means isolated from each other. Pacific and Atlantic seawater flow into the Arctic basin through the Bering Strait and Fram Strait.
In general, people like to fall back on the model of the so-called conveyor belt of a global flow system. Then warm water masses on the surface and cold, salty water masses in deeper ocean layers are transported like on a conveyor belt.
The water transported by the Gulf Stream into the North Atlantic gives off its heat to the atmosphere, becomes cooler and heavier and consequently sinks into deeper ocean layers.
In the depths, the water flows south to the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. This distributes the Atlantic water masses in the Indian and Pacific Ocean. Here they come to the surface again on their way north, turn around and flow around the southern tip of Africa back into the Atlantic.
In reality, however, the flow conditions are far more complex than in the conveyor belt model, which, for example, does not take into account the strong influence of the wind systems or the eddies on the water surface.
This question was answered by Jana Stone and Albert Gerdes from MARUM - Center for Marine Environmental Sciences at the University of Bremen.
- Why do people like AJ styles
- Would you buy a wireless smart camera
- Can I pay for college admission?
- How many Upwork users are rated best
- How does the USPS feel about Amazon
- What is the BCECE exam pattern
- Spanish is a white language
- What is the truth behind viral content
- Who would benefit from eating more salt?
- What banks are in Iowa City IA
- What are important customs or human rights
- What is an ecommerce authorization
- Can gene therapy treat anger problems
- How does 10 minute mail work
- What's your name 48
- Where does the number pi come from
- What is meta-analysis in lay terms
- Is inductive charging bad for the battery?
- What is the procurement of finished goods
- What good sides did the GDR have?
- What is it like to have inattentive ads
- Is the Kingston University film program good
- The British say shovel or spade
- How many Mario Kart games are there