What are hippos and sharks
Hippopotamus: Information in the animal lexicon
The hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius) is a mammal. It is not related to horses, but rather to pigs or whales. It is also known as the hippopotamus because Europeans first discovered it in the Nile. Today, however, it no longer lives in the Nile.
General information about the hippopotamus
The hippopotamus grows up to four meters long, one and a half meters high and weighs four tons. This makes hippos the second largest animals on land after elephants, together with rhinos. But they are also available in a smaller version: as a pygmy hippopotamus. Hippos are very brawny. They have short legs, a massive body, and a large head. There are four webbed toes on each foot. There are huge canines, the tusks, in the mouth. The skin of the animals is gray-brown, smooth and slightly bristly on the head and tail.
What does a hippo eat?
Hippos are herbivores that feed on grasses and other land plants. At night they are busy eating for up to six hours. Like cows, they have several stomachs for digestion.
How does a hippo live?
These mammals live near the banks of rivers. During the day they can often be found dozing in the water. Only eyes, ears and nostrils protrude above the surface. At night they go ashore to eat. They are not particularly good swimmers. Nevertheless, they look quite graceful when they run across the ground and repel each other.
Hippos live in herds of at least fifteen animals. The territory of a group is primarily defended by the males, the bulls. They mark their territory with feces that are sprayed by wagging their tails.
The females give birth about every two years to a young that weighs 30 kilograms at birth. The habitat of these animals is in Africa, south of the Sahara. They can live to be around 50 years old.
Are Hippos Endangered?
Hippos are classified as endangered. The animals have already been exterminated in the Nile. They were hunted for their meat, their ivory teeth, or simply for pleasure. In addition, the hippopotamus' habitat is becoming smaller and smaller due to agriculture.
Wanted poster: Hippo
- Surname: Hippo
- Scientific name: Hippopotamus amphibius
- size: up to 4 meters long, 1.5 meters high
- Weight: 4 tons
- lifespan: 50 to 80 years
- habitat: Africa, south of the Sahara, on and in rivers
- nutrition: Herbivores, grasses
What is special about hippos?
Hippos can make their own sunscreen. They have special glands under the skin that secrete a secretion. This gives them excellent protection from strong sunlight.#Subjects
- How does Photomath solve so many problems
- Is that Swedish?
- How did the first computer work
- What is a brief summary of Smallville
- What are the steps of grief
- What are promising companies in 2015
- Which proteins are water soluble
- What does native application mean in programming
- Eat or drink ice cream
- What is port 20 used for?
- How saturated is the smartphone market
- How can quality help improve reliability
- Supports the Moto G5S Plus NFC
- What code is this please help
- What is the breed of Neymar Jr.
- How can you use excess ribbon?
- Why does ibuprofen increase your blood pressure
- What would happen if men started menstruating?
- Why can music affect your mood
- What is hydronephrosis
- How can i hack Soulcraft 2
- Can Iran protest freely and calmly
- How can you organize your life?
- How do modern judges see the annulment of the jury