Chilled cucumbers are better
Storing cucumbers - this is how you ensure the shelf life
Whether cold cuts, meat or vegetables - correct storage protects your food. Read here what you should know specifically about storing cucumbers.Most do a bulk purchase once a week because they simply don't have time to run to the supermarket every day. When you arrive at home, the box is first placed on the table and then everything is gradually put in the refrigerator.
If the food is to last throughout the week, you should of course not lose its freshness. But for this they must also be stored optimally. Not all food necessarily belongs in the refrigerator here.
For example cucumbers. Like peppers, tomatoes, courgettes and aubergines, cucumbers are among the vegetables that originally come from warmer climates. It is therefore not surprising that, even when stored, they do not tolerate the cold as well as other foods.
In the refrigerator only for a few days
Cucumbers do not belong in the refrigerator for long periods of time. You can keep them there for a maximum of seven to ten days. The delicate vegetables quickly become stained and yellow from the cold. Cucumbers are made up of around 95 percent water. If the temperatures drop below four degrees, they freeze easily and then become mushy when they thaw again.
If they are to be eaten the same or the next day, it is better to store your cucumbers in the kitchen in a perforated plastic bag. The cucumbers only belong in the refrigerator if it takes a few more days to use. But then only if you keep them in cling film or in a plastic bag. You can also store the cucumbers in the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator, as it is not that cold there.
Tips for storing cucumbers
Tip 1: If you store your cucumbers between 10 and 13 degrees, they will last about three weeks. Room temperature is of course not so ideal, because the cucumbers then quickly wilt and soft. So it is always advisable to consume cucumbers as soon as possible.
Tip 2: Under no circumstances should you store fresh cucumbers together with melons, tomatoes or ripe apples and pears, as this will spoil particularly quickly. This is due to the fact that these types of fruit and vegetables form the gas ethylene during post-ripening. This means that the cucumbers quickly become overripe and are then inedible.
Tip 3: The classic cucumbers are only partially suitable for freezing. It works best if you cut them into slices and freeze them in the freezer bag. If you want to store your cucumbers longer, you'd better pickle or canning them. Then they can be kept for several months.
»Preserving cucumbers - this is how it's done
»Pickling cucumbers - explained step by step
- What is the closest airport to Ooty
- What is salt in acid
- How much wipe is too much wipe
- What is the Telugu word for good
- What is the limestone mining process
- A change of investment fund is an advantage
- Who is Zappa these days
- Can telecommunications companies block VPN
- Where is Bill Gates now
- Who is your favorite female film character
- What is the Child Support Enforcement Program
- What are some examples of physical illness
- What are the substances of gold
- Be able to make consistent profits on the trading day
- Are you having trouble buying bitcoins
- How does music influence writing, especially fiction
- Have you been stranded by your Tesla?
- Why is Oprah Winfrey important to children
- What is a fully automated business
- What is the oldest film studio in existence
- Helps self-taught in improving learner retention
- Which Scrum Certification is the best
- Is that Swedish?
- Can Rennmaeuse eat popcorn
- What is LMT in retail
- Miami beaches are free
- How are the themes created on cell phones
- Electric car manufacturers will dominate in 10 years
- What killed social media
- Where does Costco buy its fuel
- Which artist has sung the song fans
- Women like female bosses
- What is a brief summary of Smallville
- The future looks bright for Africa