How many AWACS does Pakistan have
Breakdown: No AWACS over Afghanistan
It was July 2nd. In an evening session, the members of the German Bundestag had to go again. In a roll call, 461 of 557 voted for the expansion of the German armed forces in Afghanistan. Since then, up to 300 German soldiers have been able to monitor Afghan airspace with four AWACS machines.
It was said that there was a need to hurry because the increase in military and civil air traffic over the combat region required "coordination and increased security of the airspace." The Defense Ministry argued that the Afghan air traffic control facilities were still at a "rudimentary stage." The AWACS would take over the function of a "flying tower". That is also in the interests of the Germans, because they make 51 percent of the transport flights for material and personnel in Afghanistan. Said Minister Franz Josef Jung.
But what seemed so urgent obviously has a lot of time. Even almost two months after the Bundestag decision, not one of the NATO radar aircraft from Geilenkirchen is circling in the contract area. In June, three machines were stationed at the Turkish air base Konya. But they stayed on the ground because Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan refused the necessary overflight permits. Therefore, the AWACS systems could not reach Afghanistan. On June 26th she was ordered back to Geilenkirchen.
The Court of Auditors will probably have to deal with this waste of money, especially since the federal government is not yet ready to disclose the reasons for the refusal of the two states.
Now NATO is trying to get another access to Afghanistan through diplomatic channels. Negotiations are being made with the United Arab Emirates about a stationing of the AWACS aircraft. From there, only Pakistan can be requested as an overflight country. Its consent is considered certain.
On the other hand, opposition MPs still suspect that the establishment of civil aviation security with the help of the AWACS machines is only an »attempt at deception«. AWACS was developed as a tool of warfare. In Afghanistan, the planes will primarily be used to coordinate reconnaissance and bombing missions.
nd journalism from the left thrives on the commitment of its readers
In view of the experience of the corona pandemic, we have decided to make our journalism permanently freely accessible on our website and thus make it available to everyone who is interested.
As with our print and epaper editions, our work as an author, editor, technician or publishing employee is part of every published article. It is what makes this journalism possible.
Volunteer now with just a few clicks!
- Is Playboi Carti better than 2Pac
- Is Pondicherry a city
- What is the examination procedure for IES
- Does quantum physics explain chance?
- What are external links in SEO
- How do I become a mixed race
- What lie did you tell recently
- What is the legal definition of data protection
- UPES provides us with laptops or tabs
- Where do cats really love to be rubbed?
- How fast do motor proteins move
- Do you think animals have ghosts
- What does perfume ball mean in cricket
- Why do some people hate the Prius
- Which US president had the happiest marriage
- A freelancer is an independent contractor
- Can you walk on a broken ankle
- What is the incubation period of HIV
- Which business book should I read?
- Which is the cleanest beach in Goa
- How can a census be carried out
- Which university offers BBA courses in Rajasthan?
- Why do you only have 3 colors
- What is it like to raise a schizophrenic child?