Emits uranium radiation
- Harmful rays for humans and nature
Do you know what radioactive substances are and how they work?
Nuclear power plants need radioactive materials to generate energy. There are natural and man-made radioactive substances. Natural radioactive substances occur in nature. Actually, they are everywhere - but in different amounts. Radioactive substances that humans produce themselves or that arise in the nuclear power plant through nuclear fission are referred to as artificial. For example, some medical applications require radioactivity.
Natural radioactive substances occur in the ground, for example. For example, uranium is the name of a type of metal that is radioactive. Radon is a radioactive noble gas that is created when uranium decays radioactively. Uranium is needed, for example, to produce energy in a nuclear power plant. The problem? Radioactive materials contain certain types of atoms. Their atomic nuclei can decay. Energy is released in the process. And this is given off as ionizing radiation. In contrast to an X-ray machine, you cannot switch off the decay and the resulting radiation. That means: If radioactive substances get into our body through food or the air we breathe, they break down there and give off ionizing radiation. This affects organs, bones and muscles. Depending on its strength, it can cause diseases such as cancer.
What actually is radioactivity?
You can watch an explanatory video by the Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS) on YouTube.
Who protects people from rays?
People should be protected from the harmful effects of radiation. The main problem is the ionizing radiation. So the rays that charge atoms with their energy.
In Germany, the Atomic Energy Act regulates the use of atomic energy for peaceful purposes. The Radiation Protection Ordinance specifies how high the exposure to radiation may be for normal citizens and for employees in nuclear power plants.
The radiation protection precautionary law requires radioactivity in the environment to be monitored. To this end, 1,800 measuring stations determine day and night how high the radiation is and how high the proportion of radioactive substances is in the environment.
Food, animal feed and drinking water are also monitored for radioactivity. Even the smallest changes can be recognized in this way. This makes it possible to take remedial action at an early stage in order to protect people and the environment.
Atoms are the smallest basic building blocks of matter and consist of an atomic nucleus and an atomic shell. The atomic nucleus is much smaller than the atom itself and consists of other building blocks: protons and neutrons. Energy is generated in nuclear power plants by splitting the atomic nuclei. The atomic nuclei of the element uranium are mostly used for this purpose.read more
- How do I find my double online
- What religion did the Cossacks have before Christianity
- Why does CSS not support British English
- Evolutionarily seen why the language evolved
- How long should masturbation last
- Which cultures are mostly closed
- What causes nicotine stains
- How many kilometers is Delhi from Varanasi
- When did this so-called BS start?
- Which wines go best with raw seafood?
- What does a water pump do
- Cancer is widespread in nature
- What are vape cartridges made of
- Can you teach me a sentence in Spanish?
- What is philosophical postmodernism
- Can you see this island
- What is spin in a scientific way
- Most men are henpecked now
- Cold winter weather kills car batteries
- How does the rent for own work work 1
- Why aren't there many millionaires in Africa?
- Why are my nails orange in color?
- Sri Lanka is heavily taxed on fuel
- Causes of Abnormal Behavior
- What are the pitfalls of permanent makeup
- Does water freeze make a sound?
- What is your best laser cut design
- How can someone go viral on YouTube
- What is an auto trading bot
- What is generic polymorphism and parametric polymorphism
- Which areas can benefit from AR technologies
- How ironic is the Indian constitution
- How many animals eat with their tails
- What is 3 0 web