Can we use WPC panels in furniture?
Decking: wood, WPC and alternatives are so good
They are available in smooth or ribbed, light, dark, with or without a wooden structure - decking boards are available in numerous designs. The variety of materials is also impressive. In addition to resilient Hardwood is WPCthe easy-care variant. But also other materials like Rice bowls or bamboo are now used to make decking boards.
Terdecking made of wood
Wood is the classic among decking boards. In addition to a wide range of design options, wood is durable. If the wooden terrace does need to be renovated, it looks like new again when it has been sanded and oiled.
A Wooden terrace consists of a foundation, load-bearing beams and planking with decking. The terrace construction depends on the environment - for example, whether the property is straight or the terrace is built on a slope. On self-making.de we will show you step by step how to build a wooden terrace.
Wooden floorboards on the terrace are often exposed to strong weather. If the wooden deck is not covered, there is also frost and moisture and UV radiation. To prevent the floor covering from swelling or cracking, choose only hardwood, such as larch or Douglas fir, for the terrace.
In addition to the type of wood, there is also the Wood structure decisive for the quality of the planks. Decking boards are always cut from the tree trunk parallel to the wood fiber. The capillaries of the wood are not separated. The surface and underside of the decking are completely closed and protected against moisture penetration.
It looks different on the sides of the boards. This is where the end grain is located. The cut runs across the grain - tree rings or parts of them can be seen on the wood. In contrast to the longitudinal timber side, moisture can penetrate more easily on the end grain sides of the decking.
If youBuy decking, it is therefore important to ensure that the end grain side is treated. If this is not the case, you can also seal the end grain sides yourself, for example with wood stain, linseed oil or clear varnish.
As a further criterion for high quality, you should also use decking boards sustainability respect, think highly of. This is especially true for tropical woods. Certificates such as FSC and PEFC guarantee that the decking is Wood from sustainable forestry acts.
Which wood for the terrace?
Wood for the terrace Requires the following properties: High resistance to UV radiation, cold and moisture. In addition, it should be as hard and resilient as possible. If you want a solid wood flooring, you should pay attention to these properties when buying the floorboards or treat the wood afterwards.
Is suitable for this Weatherproof paint or one Wood glaze. Manufacturer like Osmo and Bondex offer special protective oil for the terrace. The oil is suitable for different types of wood and is precisely tailored to their needs. An overview of the best rated wood preservatives from the two manufacturers can be found here:
Wooden decking: solid wood
As a terrace floor, these trees need additional weather protection:
Tropical woods in particular can do without protection - but some native species can also take on the resilience of teak:
- Black locust
- Douglas fir
Wooden decking: Thermo wood
Is more resistant than natural wood Thermo wood. This is natural wood that is first completely dried and then heated at temperatures of up to 215 degrees without oxygen. Compared to natural wood, it is thermally treated much harder and more durable - even when it is directly exposed to moisture and UV radiation.
Different types of wood become too Thermo wood processed. Thermally impregnated wood is available from, for example Timura, Solid plank or at Holzprofi24. Who wants to save on the purchase, keeps an eye out for remaining stock at timber dealers or searches for suitable offers on Ebay.
Resistant wood such as larch also turns gray over time. If you want to keep the original color, clean the decking thoroughly once a year with a high-pressure cleaner and then care for it with wood oil.
WPC is an alternative to wood. Nothing specific can be said about the long-term durability. However, WPC is assumed to have a high level of durability, thanks to the building material Polymer compound is well protected against moisture and UV light. Do-it-yourselfers can easily build WPC terraces themselves with the right instructions.
Like any building material, too WPC its advantages and disadvantages. In many cases, however, WPC is a good alternative to the wooden terrace:
Advantages of WPC
- Boards are made of WPC non-slip and splinter-free. With wood, on the other hand, you can pull in when you walk barefoot when you splinter. Tip: Sand down the wooden terrace and paint it.
- WPC is easy to clean: A little grease-dissolving detergent and water are sufficient - with wood, maintenance with a high-pressure cleaner and wood oil is comparatively demanding and takes a lot of time.
- Like wood, WPC can do the same can be milled, sawed and drilled with any tool.
- The material is lighter than wood and can thus be installed more easily. Especially with hardwood, the weight of the planks can be a problem for DIY enthusiasts.
- The color remains for a long time and does not fade. Wood, on the other hand, changes color over time.
- Like wood, WPC is available in numerous color variants.
Disadvantages of WPC
- WPC terraces heatin direct sunlight. Wood, on the other hand, scores with cooling properties. Tip: Lay bright WPC.
- WPC boards gray faster as real wood - but you can prevent this by regularly cleaning the planks.
- The quality of the boards is very dated production method dependent.
- One recognizes that Difference to real wood: Typical wood structures such as grain and knotholes cannot be faithfully reproduced on WPC.
WPC decking: Bad ffor the environment?
Since WPC is made of plastic, the production of WPC decking goes with one high consumption of energy and raw materials hand in hand. For people who value ecological and sustainable building, WPC is therefore a less attractive option.
For this reason, more and more manufacturers are specializing in Process waste products into WPC. This means that no trees have to be felled for the production of WPC, and no new plastic has to be produced. For the polymers in the decking, for example Milk cartons, shampoo and detergent bottles recycled.
The Manufacture of WPC boards from recycled materials is especially with North American manufacturers like Trex and Fiberon spread. This is how WPC boards consist of Fiberon about 93% from recyclates. New material is used to coat the boards. The products from Trex consist of almost 48% by-products that arise during wood processing.Wood by-products arise, for example, when processing Floor coverings or door frames.
There is still no recycling of this magnitude at European manufacturers. However, companies advertise like NaturinForm with the Use of PEFC-certified wood from sustainable forestry. Other manufacturers like Twinson also rely on fast renewable raw materials such as fir wood.
alternativen on decking made of wood and WPC
Modern manufacturing processes enable not only the processing of wood pellets and chips. As an alternative to wood and WPC are also used today bamboo or Rice husks processed into decking.
Different to WPC (Wood Polymer Composite) consists BPC (Bamboo Polymer Composite) made of bamboo, a rapidly renewable raw material. In contrast to Composites based on wood is BPC less resilient against frost and UV light.
Also for Mold is highly susceptible to BPC, as bamboo has a higher proportion of sugar compared to wood. That is why fungicides are also added to BPC boards. Cheap models contain less mold protection - the durability of these boards is significantly limited.
Otherwise there are advantages and disadvantages of terrace coverings WPC and BPC identical. There are also hardly any differences between the two building materials in the production of WPC and BPC.
Particularly high-quality WPC and BPC decking often score with co-extruded surfaces. The decking is then covered all around with a layer that protects against grease, moisture or dirt. With selected models, the decking can even be laid without the usual incline.
Another alternative to the bamboo decking is decking made of Rice husks are made. Falling rice husks as a waste product from the harvest and production of rice.
Manufacturer like Plenera produce resistant decking from the waste that arises from rice cultivation. Rice hulls are naturally good at withstanding moisture. Because the shell protects rice grains from rot and pests until harvest. In the form of decking, the pressed rice hulls form a water-repellent floor covering.
You want more about Wooden and WPC terraces Experienced? You can find instructions and advice on building decks at DIY.
By the way:Here we reveal how you can redesign old concrete patio slabs.
- What should I say after the greeting
- Top colleges in the US for higher education
- What if day and night were changed
- What is SBI Bank
- How is your virtual world
- Which nation experiences the most natural disasters
- What does your pet look like
- What are the best newspapers in Croatia
- What is tcs strive
- How is the University of Bridgeport doing
- Which book you couldn't finish
- Is fear epigenetic
- What are good day trips from Paris
- Why is titanium orange
- Do audible credits ever expire
- Who is the tallest woman alive
- How does the Chit Fund software work
- Why should you visit Monte Carlo Monaco
- How can aluminum be welded
- How does Amazon USPS cost a fortune
- How do you compare mutual fund performance
- What are the disadvantages of open universities
- Which is better in ASIC or FPGA
- What does an autistic first grader do