What's the latest update in Kotlin
Programming language Kotlin 1.5: stability at every nook and cranny
JetBrains has released Kotlin 1.5. The first major release of the programming language in 2021 brings hardly any innovations, but stabilizes numerous language features introduced in Kotlin 1.4.x. The new JVM (Java Virtual Machine) backend is now also considered stable. For Kotlin / Native, the release includes compiler caches in debug mode for Linux and iOS, which are intended to accelerate the compilation of debug projects.
Stable record classes and sealed interfaces
Java has known records for storing immutable data since version 15, which are similar to the classes in Kotlin. Version 1.4.30 of JetBrain's programming language initially introduced annotation for classes as an experimental feature. The annotation ensures that the compiler generates the required record methods to access the poperties. The implementation is considered stable in Kotlin 1.5.
The same applies to sealed interfaces: Kotlin was already familiar with sealed classes before they were also introduced as a preview in Java 15. The labeling of interfaces as previously marked as preview is considered stable in Kotlin 1.5. Subclasses of sealed classes, whether or not they are also sealed, must be in the same package and compilation unit, but not necessarily in the same file.
Kotlin introduced the concept of inline classes in version 1.3 as alpha, and promoted it to beta in Kotlin 1.4.30. In the current release, they are also considered stable. Inline classes have nothing to do with the nested inner classes, but can be used as a wrapper for a value to enable compiler optimizations. Both primitive types and reference types such as are permitted as values.
Unsigned standard library
The standard library stabilizes the APIs for unsigned integer variants. Kotlin now knows the unsigned integer types (8 bit), (16 bit), (32 bit) and (64 bit). Associated array types exist for all four, but they are still marked as beta in version 1.5.
The Duration API has recently started using values as an internal representation and offers properties for accessing this value. JetBrains has also redesigned the APIs for processing strings and characters. Among other things, there is now an API that takes the associated locale for the locale into account when converting between upper and lower case.
The test library only needs a single dependency for a common set of multi-platform projects. In addition, the library now automatically selects a testing framework for Kotlin / JVM sources. Finally, there are improvements for the standard and test library in conjunction with non-blocking I / O (NIO).
New backend for the Java Virtual Machine
In October, JetBrains announced a new release cycle after a feature release with version 1 every six months.x appears. Incremental releases with version number 1.x.y0 (1.5.10, 1.5.20, ...) should appear every two to three months, and bug fix releases appear with version 1.x.y as requiredz (1.5.11, 1.5.12, ...).
Further details can be found on the Kotlin blog. IntelliJ IDEA should automatically suggest an update to Kotlin 1.5.0. The same applies to the IntelliJ IDEA-based Android Studio, but only from the fresh version 4.2.
- Have narcissists been associated with serial killers?
- Has China stopped building coal-fired power plants
- You can legally get married online
- Find Wikipedia boring why
- Is there a best country
- What does the term chafing mean
- Is there a libertarian movement in Russia
- What is Options Market Maker
- How can bug spray repel mosquitoes
- What does customer service usually include?
- What is the propagation of a wave
- Why are Rane mixers so expensive
- How to become an expert generalist
- Should I denounce wrong behavior
- How do older people deal with autism
- What is true love for men
- What is the pathophysiology of COPD
- Which atomic orbital has a spherical shape
- Is HR Tech Outlook a reputable magazine
- Why can't my Facebook Messenger make calls?
- What is your opinion about Shani
- What values promote the human spirit
- Which forex trading strategy do you prefer
- What is greeting in Spanish