How many cores in a standard GPU
Ampere: Nvidia's new GPU generation starts with almost 7,000 cores and 40 GB of RAM
Nvidia can come up with a new generation of its graphics chips. And this has a lot to offer: "Ampere" is supposed to outperform its predecessor "Volta", which appeared in 2017, in many ways - not least in terms of the number of computing units and the AI capabilities.
The first chip from the new series is the A100, which is not intended for private computers but primarily for data centers and supercomputers. Manufactured using the 7 nm process, it consists of 54 billion transistors - almost three times as many as with "Volta". The number of streaming multiprocessors has risen almost modestly from 80 to 108. They each contain 64 FP32 cores for calculations with single precision and 32 FP64 cores for calculations with double precision. That gives a total of almost 7,000 FP32 cores alone,
The memory equipment of the A100 is also impressive. It is specified as 40 GB. HBM2 storage from Samsung is used, which offers a maximum transfer rate of 1.6 TByte / s.
Nvidia has placed a focus on AI capabilities. The Tensor Cores are now available in a new generation, with calculations with double precision being supported for the first time. This should be used for particularly complex tasks such as earthquake prediction. The A100 should achieve a performance of up to 19.5 TFlops in this area. Also new is the TensorFloat32 format, which promises an acceleration by a factor of 20 compared to Volta for AI calculations with simple accuracy.
In line with the A100, Nvidia is also announcing a new server for machine learning tasks. With its eight A100 GPUs, the DGX A100 is said to offer up to 5 tensor petaflops in calculations with half accuracy. The equipment also includes two AMD Rome processors with 64 cores each as well as 1 TB RAM and a 15 TB SSD. Mellanox network cards with transfer rates of up to 200 GBit / s are also installed. But the price is also impressive: Such a system costs 199,000 US dollars.
When - and whether - the new Ampere architecture will also find its way into consumer graphics cards is currently still open. (red, May 14, 2020)
- What is mathematical modeling of materials
- What are dutiable warehouses
- How much is Will Ferrell worth
- How to Spy on Skype
- Left Kenneth 30 Rock
- What are the benefits of your job
- Why do dentists aggravate the dental problem
- Is Quetta safe for local tourists
- How does the federal work study work
- How are files attached to an email
- What is flexible flange coupling
- What is an interdisciplinary sculpture
- Is solar energy really the future
- I could study at MIT Premed
- Who will win when Shaktimaan battles Batman?
- Can cure homeopathy adenoids
- My best friend has a crush on me
- How does a magnetic motor work
- What is astrodynamics
- How will climate change affect Taipei
- It's easier for vegans to get drunk
- What is the English word for panipuri
- What are the best startups in France
- What is phenolphthalein