Why does avocado kill parrots

The bird is not allowed to eat that

Ornamental birds have the right to be kept and fed appropriately. But birds such as canaries, budgies, large parakeets or parrots often have close contact with their owners as soon as they are tame. Then it can happen that you offer the bird something to snack on that is actually not suitable for it. You should definitely keep these things away from your pet birds to avoid poisoning and other illnesses.

1. No human nibbles

Candies, chocolate, pretzel sticks, cheese, boiled or roasted meat, sausage or smoked foods are popular with many curious birds. Some birds develop a real one Cravings on something very specific.

If they don't get it, they often scream for it, tearing up their ears. So it is up to responsible owners not to let the birds get close to the often pathogenic foods.

2. No carbonated drinks and alcohol

Birds should not get anything from all carbonated drinks like coffee, Coca-Cola or the like, as they lead to gastrointestinal diseases in them. All alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine or schnapps must also be taboo for birds, even in the smallest quantities.

3. No salty foods

Basically, a few cooked noodles, potatoes, rice, dry white bread, stale bread, rusks, wholemeal shortbread biscuits, raw minced beef, low-fat quark, yoghurt and very mild, low-fat cheese are allowed as a snack for pet birds. Steamed vegetables are also tolerable and can be given. However, everything is allowed not salted and not seasoned be.

The high dose of table salt quickly leads to dehydration, severe kidney damage, itching and brain damage, which is accompanied by tremors and movement disorders. If you suspect your bird may have ingested too much salt, offer him plenty of water straight away and alert the vet.

A salt content of just one percent in food, which is far higher than that of pretzel sticks, for example, can cause diarrhea or cramps in birds or even be fatal.

4. No avocados and fruit pits

You shouldn't share the delicious avocado with your bird either. Because the fruit causes in birds severe shortness of breath due to a lung congestion, which can lead to suffocation. Fruit kernels from peaches, cherries, plums and apples, as well as bitter almonds, contain hydrogen cyanide and are irritating to both humans and birds Poisoning. They too can cause death by suffocation.

5. No moldy food

Molds are also dangerous for birds. Their fungal toxins (mycotoxins) damage the liver so badly, that the bird can die from it. If you ever notice that the birdseed smells musty, moldy, or even see mold, don't skimp, throw the entire package away.

6. No house plants

Poisoning with houseplants is less common than is commonly assumed. Nevertheless, azaleas, goblet primroses, dieffenbachia, daffodils, lilies of the valley, philodendrons and many others do not belong in the room in which the birds have free flight. To be on the safe side, you should no house plants in the bird room because with many plants it is simply not known whether they are poisonous or not.

7. No fertilizers and pesticides

Most of the plants from the nursery are treated with fertilizers and pesticides that are highly toxic to the bird are. This is also the reason why you should make sure that you only feed unsprayed greens. It is best to treat your bird to organic quality. For this reason, fruit tree branches that you offer the birds to nibble must be carefully washed with hot water.

Fresh greenery for pet birds

Why don't you sow birdseed? Or decorate the windowsill with herbs like parsley, thyme, lemon balm, chickweed, dandelion and oregano. On their Curtains however, you should pay close attention - many are weighted with lead. Since birds like to nibble on shiny things, they can get one Lead poisoning to draw. Also the Zinc noses on new aviary grids are poisonous and are preferably gnawed off by the birds. Sand them down before installing the new grille in the aviary.

8. Beak out of the kitchen

The kitchen is a stove full of poisons. Kitchen vapors, tobacco smoke and especially the vapors from hot Teflon pans can cause the So much damage to the bird's lungsthat he dies from it. Household chemicals are also dangerous, such as detergents, cleaning agents, dish soap and all the other "helpers" with which you will not leave your children alone.

9. Beak away from propellant and solvent sprays

Sprays, be they hair sprays or waterproofing sprays for clothes or shoes, please always use them only in the absence of the birdjust as you keep glue away from him - the fumes of the propellants and solvents are far more toxic to him than to us. The sprays and strips for combating vermin in the bird cage or the aviary are only to be used after consultation and instructions from the veterinarian. Because the wrong remedy or too high a dosage can kill your bird.