Why pool cleaning is required
Cleaning the pool Instructions: Step by step to a clean pool
How can you clean your pool? Which cleaning agents are suitable for cleaning the pool? What's the best way to remove limescale in the pool? Can pool maintenance work without chlorine? Will the pool be clean even without chemicals? How can you remove algae from the pool? Which pool cleaning is recommended after winter? When should you clean the pool and how often do you need to clean the pool? We answer these and other questions and provide you with practical “pool cleaning instructions” with lots of tips.
A pool in the garden offers you the opportunity in summer to switch off from everyday life, to refresh yourself and to exercise. No matter whether you go into the pool in the morning before or in the evening after work, alone, as a couple or with the whole family, for a short dip, Kneipp treatment or swimming - the cooling water will do you good.
Provided the pool is clean. But when is a pool clean and how long does it stay that way? And how do you know when it's time to clean the pool?
Keeping the pool permanently clean - these are the measures
Clear pool water that allows a view of the pool floor - that is clean pool water. Smooth tiles or stones on the pool walls and the pool floor - that is a clean pool.
A pool needs regular maintenance. If it fails to appear, it becomes dirty. Then bathing in the pool is no longer a pleasure, it can even make you sick. And the pool itself also suffers from the pollution: deposited dirt is permanently on the building fabric and shortens the life of the pool.
Our tip: The degree of pollution of your pool depends on several factors, including the number of users and the location (in particular: proximity to agricultural land and forest). As a rule of thumb for cleaning the pool, you can remember: You should clean your pool once a week. This gives you the value of the pool as a building and as a wellness location.
In order to keep your pool permanently clean, you need to ensure that the pool water is clean. You can do this with various measures, including:
1. First of all, the pool water should be permanently suitable PH value to have. It should be between 7.0 and 7.6. You can regulate deviations upwards and downwards with pH raisers and pH reducers, which you can buy in specialist shops. Important: The means for disinfecting and maintaining the pool also develop their maximum effectiveness at these pH values.
Our tip: In our magazine article "Testing water quality: This is how you can have your water tested in the house and garden", we present ways in which you can test the water quality in the pool yourself or have it tested. "
2. To disinfection in the pool, chlorine is often used. Its concentration should ideally be between 1.0 and 3.0 milligrams per liter (mg / l). Alternatively, you can clean the pool without chemicals and disinfect it with oxygen instead of chlorine. The ideal oxygen is 5 mg / l.
3. To Purifying pool water it is best to use modern technology. A pool water filter system permanently removes dirt from the pool water.
Cleaning the pool - when does the pool have to be cleaned?
The following signs speak in favor of pool cleaning:
- obvious dirt (on the surface of the water, on the pool floor)
- milky, cloudy water
- unpleasant smell
- rough pool walls
- green water
- slippery floor and / or walls
- after adding chlorine or active hydrogen, the pool water turns brown
- Insects, worms, flies in / by the pool
- Rust in the pool
This table shows the possible causes for the listed pool problems and also gives options for eliminating them:
|Pool problem||root cause||solution|
|milky, cloudy water, unpleasant odor||Too many organic pollutants, too few disinfectants, dirty filters||Determine the water values, optimize the pH value (7.0 to 7.6, chlorine value: 1.0 to 3.0 mg / l), clean the pool|
|cloudy water, rough pool walls||Limescale deposits (lime deposits) due to high pH values, high water temperature or high water hardness||Determine the water values, optimize the pH value (7.0 to 7.6), clean the pool with acidic pool cleaners, use a hardness stabilizer|
|green water, slippery floor and walls||Algae in the water because there was not enough disinfectant in the pool||Determine the water values, optimize the pH value (7.0 to 7.6), clean the pool and use algae protection|
|Water turns brown after adding chlorine or active oxygen||Well water as pool water||Determine water values, optimize pH value (7.0 to 7.6, chlorine value: 1.0 to 3.0 mg / l), use metal stabilizer|
|corrosion||too low pH||Determine the water values, optimize the pH value (7.0 to 7.6) using a pH lifter|
In relevant forums on the Internet one can read again and again that a portion of vitamin C helps against green or brown water in the pool. While some consumers report successful attempts with this home remedy, others describe unsuccessful attempts or even advise against them.
Cleaning the pool - this is how you do it right!
Do you need instructions on how to clean the pool? A year-round cleaning schedule for your pool could look like this:
- Basic cleaning in spring - cleaning the pool after winter
- Daily pool cleaning during the pool season
- Pool cleaning in winter outside the pool season
How to thoroughly clean the pool after the winter - instructions
- First of all, use a landing net to fish everything that floats on it (leaves, branches, insect carcasses) out of the pool water and dispose of the dirt.
- Then you have to completely drain the pool water once. A so-called submersible pump, which you can also borrow, helps.
- While the pool water is being pumped out, you can clean the pool surround. To do this, sweep the dirt off the stones or tiles and remove any weeds that have grown there.
- If the pool is empty, let it dry out. Because dried dirt can be easily removed with a broom. You can then tackle particularly stubborn dirt with a brush and scrubber. Our tip: Special pool edge cleaners, which you can buy from specialist retailers, help against a greasy pool edge. Important: After using them, you should remove the cleaning agent thoroughly, for example with a garden hose.
- Clean water can now run into the cleaned pool again.
How to keep the pool clean during everyday bathing
For daily pool cleaning during the bathing season, you should remove any dirt floating in it before each visit to the pool (see step 1 above).
For cleaning pool water and keeping it permanently clean, it is best to use a pool pump with suitable filter technology.
Our tip: Ensure a good flow through the pool by attaching the suction (so-called skimmer) and the return nozzle on opposite sides.
You can use it to get both suspended and suspended matter out of the pool water. The filter can be a
- Sand filter,
- Cartridge filter
- or kieselguhr & precoat filters
The Sand filter is a simple and inexpensive to maintain device that works with fine sand (grain size about 0.6 millimeters). The sand filter must be cleaned regularly. During the so-called backwashing, the direction of the flow is reversed so that the dirt loosens. During the subsequent rinsing process, it is diverted into the sewer.
Our tip: Do you use a sand filter to clean your pool? Then you can use a so-called flocculant to improve the water quality. The agent attaches itself to the smallest dirt particles, so that they no longer slide through the filter, but can be filtered.
At the Cartridge filter the cartridge can be cleaned or replaced by hand. Cartridge filters tend to perform better than sand filters. But: cartridge filters are not as durable and their maintenance requires more and more expensive effort.
Kieselguhr & precoat filters run similar to sand filters. However, the filter material differs from sand filters: Instead of sand, much finer shells of fossil diatoms are used. This means that the filters achieve the best performance values - but they also cost the most.
Our tip: The pump filter system should be designed in such a way that it completely circulates the amount of water in the pool at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius at least three times a day. The corresponding filter run time would be eight hours, which is a standard performance value. If the pump filter system is not sufficient, you can also use a floor vacuum cleaner to clean the pool floor.
On hot summer days, a clean solid wood pool in the garden offers the perfect cooling off.
So you know everything you need to know about pool cleaning. Now it's up to you whether you can refresh yourself in the cool water this summer. In our online shop we have various solid wood pools on offer for you!
Are you looking for additional inspiration around swimming pools in the garden? Then take a look at our Pinterest board about the garden house and pond. On Pinterest we have also put together a variety of beautiful boards on the subject of houses, gardens and garden sheds for you.
You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter so that you don't miss any of our new GartenHaus magazine articles.
Cover picture: © iStock / Elenathewise
Article images: Image 1: © iStock / victorass88, Image 2: © iStock / LiudmylaSupynska, Image 3: © iStock / ChrisAt, Image 4: © iStock / Ralf Geithe, Image 5: © GartenHaus GmbH
- How do I build risk tolerance
- WHAT'S THE BEST CMS FOR JOB PORTAL
- Which place is better Dehradun or Thiruvananthapuram
- How exactly would you define slavery?
- What do rosemary and thyme look like
- How is the comedy scene in India
- What is 7 1 2 times 10
- What is the header relationship to append
- Which name is better Amelia or Emilia
- Who went to the gym today
- Are free people more rational
- Why do you love staying in Assam
- Which is the best restaurant in Madrid
- Nouns can be conjugated
- What is counter intelligence
- What are some benefits of dissociation
- Why do I become gaseous after ovulation?
- What causes a pimple with white pus
- What is the equation y_axis
- What were Michael Jordan's greatest achievements
- Which is the best course in PMI
- Does someone benefit from technical debt
- Why is Oprah Winfrey important to children
- Where can I sell a record
- What role does FIFA play
- What is a trusted platform module
- Examples of simple quantitative research topics
- What are the best hotels in Hyderabad
- Why did Winston Churchill hate Indians
- Is Tamiflu effective
- Could humanity survive in a closed box
- How is the structure of carbohydrates
- This supports the formation of spindle fibers