Should the Middle Ages be capitalized
Life in the Middle Ages
In the Middle Ages, the peasant stratum was again one level lower. Not only did they make up by far the largest part of the population, they were also the weakest members of society. However, there were also big differences among the farmers - from free to unfree, from poor to wealthy.
Vassalism served as a kind of social cement between the individual estates. A member of a lower class was usually a vassal (henchman) of a higher rank.
The follower swore unconditional loyalty and obedience to his master. This included, among other things, that the vassal paid taxes and went to war for the Lord. In return, he gave his subordinate land and protected him.
"City air makes you free"
In the Middle Ages, unless they became a monk or nun, they remained in their class for a lifetime - advancement was next to impossible. This only changed with the upswing of the cities from the 12th century onwards.
If an unfree peasant moved to a medieval city and was not ordered back from there by his master for a year, he was a free city citizen. This is where the much-quoted saying "city air makes you free" comes from. In order to enjoy this freedom and participate in the economic boom, more and more people poured into the city from the countryside in the High Middle Ages.
The market is considered to be the "nucleus of the high medieval city", as the writer Rolf Schneider puts it. This place, where traders from different regions met, was not infrequently the starting point for a city to be founded. The cities developed into the most important economic centers of the empire, in which trade and handicrafts flourished.
So it is no wonder that one of the most powerful economic associations of the Middle Ages emerged from a merger of cities: the Hanseatic League. At the heyday of the Hanseatic League - between the 14th and 16th centuries - around 200 cities belonged to it, including Hamburg, Lübeck, Cologne, Dortmund and Berlin.
- There are as many misandrists as there are misogynists
- How much of your income should you spend?
- What is shipping delivery
- What is significant
- What can fly in the mesosphere
- When will you stop worrying?
- How can I discover myself through writing?
- Can a beautician do massages
- People kill each other because of racism
- What does hane mean in Japanese
- What is according to Bhagavad Gita
- How many BPMs are in Allegro Feroce
- How deep will Trump's recession be?
- What is meant by tire slip
- How many calories should women consume
- Do you want your business card to be unique?
- How do I design a two-way slab
- Why do you like Suresh Raina
- What is singing
- What is sheet metal design used for?
- Why are people chasing estate planning
- What prevents evil possession
- Why is pain necessary for spiritual growth
- Can BMW rotors be surfaced again?
- How can you stop an angry mother
- How is biotechnology in NIT Raipur
- Why couldn't microbes survive in a volcano?
- What makes the noise of an engine
- Creativity can exist without intelligence
- Do you want to forgive my sins?
- What is steric inhibition of resonance
- Why did Shaolin training become so commercial
- What is virtual particle 1