What happens in the brain during depression
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
Development and personality factors (psychosocial factors)
Another factor that can contribute to the development of depression is due to misguided development in childhood. An anxious and caring parenting style, the resulting “learned helplessness” and poor ability of those affected to cope with stress can be risk factors for the development of depression. These factors can be causes, but also consequences of the disease. Overprotective treatment can be explained by the fact that parents perceive the child's psychological vulnerability and susceptibility to illness at an early stage and react accordingly in a protective manner.
The early loss of a parent, a disturbance in the mother-child relationship or a lack of self-esteem since early childhood can also lead to a particular vulnerability to disappointment. Insufficiently processed experiences of loss or trauma (e.g. sexual abuse, experience of disasters) can promote the outbreak of depression in renewed crisis situations (e.g. separation from the partner).
People of the so-called "melancholic type" are also particularly at risk of developing depression. This includes people whose personality is characterized by self-insecurity, over-correctness, orderliness, emphasis on performance and willingness to make sacrifices.
In many cases of depression, the illness occurs after critical, stressful or negative events, e.g. the loss of a partner or relative or problems with close caregivers, divorce / separation, etc. or simply changes in the usual way of life such as retirement. It has been proven that stressful life events lead to neurobiological reactions such as increased release of the stress hormone cortisol, which is also found in high concentrations in the blood in depression.
Physical illnesses (e.g. chronic pain, cancer, cardiovascular and dementia diseases) and certain medications can also play a role in triggering depression.
Other possible risk factors
After examining various depressed patients, the following factors, in addition to the mechanisms listed, seem to favor the development of depression:
- female gender;
- Being single;
- City dwellers;
- few social contacts;
- low level of education;
- Cannabis use and alcohol abuse.
- Why was Fatehpur Sikri built
- How much were tickets for SXSW 2012
- Where can I make my Java code
- What is a resource controller in Laravel
- What do you think about electroneum
- Listen to Google our conversations
- Rahul Gandhi has a mental illness
- Who made the movie Red Sparrow
- Are glucophage and metformin the same thing?
- Can the SCOTUS enact a law
- Who invented Bidis Indian cigarettes
- What song made you feel immense pain
- Have you ever heard of Anhui University?
- What is appealing about PCP
- Pakistan joined the NPT
- Why is everyone worried about smoking marijuana
- What should be the requirements for the high school diploma
- Coins are considered cash
- Would hyperloop make sense in India
- Is hot yoga good for anxiety?
- What happens when you compress air
- Why is agriculture part of the unorganized sector?
- How was your IBPS Clerk Mains 2019
- What does lovable mean