How do you feed a sourdough starter?
How I feed my sourdough and keep it alive
Liquid wheat sourdough / rye sourdough is fed with equal amounts of water and flour by weight (amount of water related to the amount of flour is 100%, one also speaks of a hydration of 100%).
My approach: Put 40 g water in a glass, add 10 g sourdough, stir well, then add 40 g wheat flour type 550 for wheat sourdough or 40 g rye flour type 1150 for rye sourdough and stir in vigorously until a homogeneous mass is formed. Cover the glass with cling film, put a rubber band around it and let it stand for 1-2 hours at room temperature, then put it in the refrigerator.
The sourdough can survive for a good 1 (-3 or longer) weeks, after this time it can lose 10 g again and feed as indicated. It is normal if a layer of liquid ("hooch") forms on the sourdough.
If you want to bake with the sourdough, you should make sure that it is really active. It is best to feed the dough the day before (morning) as indicated. Now let the jar stand at room temperature for at least 8 hours (rye dough also likes to be warmer, I put it in the microwave with the door slightly open, where the lamp ensures about 27 ° C). The dough should rise well, be interspersed with small bubbles and smell pleasant, the taste is sour. If the dough is a little limp after a long period of hunger, simply repeat the feeding steps for several days in a row, but do not put the dough in the refrigerator.
In the evening before baking, remove the required items and prepare the sourdough according to the recipe.
If you need larger amounts of sourdough for a recipe, the starting weight should at least double through feeding. For example, add at least 50 g water and 50 g flour to 100 g sourdough, it is better to triple or quadruple it.
Firm wheat sourdough according to Maggie Glezer: To do this, put 10 g firm wheat sourdough in a bowl, stir with 25 g water until smooth, then knead in 45 g wheat flour type 550 until a smooth ball of dough is formed. Put the ball in a glass and cover with cling film, leave to stand for 1-2 hours at room temperature, then put in the refrigerator. Otherwise, proceed as with liquid sourdough.
You can always "refeed" liquid wheat sourdough to solid ones or vice versa. Simply carry out 2-3 feeding cycles as desired.
- Will I make money with Bitcoin Gold
- How do I get over the pressure to perform
- What is the simple pleasure of childhood
- Who was Laine Kazan
- How can you love biology
- What is negative gearing in real estate
- Why shouldn't I take ibuprofen with me?
- Andalusia is part of Morocco
- Will you appear for UPSC ESE
- What are some careers in quantum physics
- Which is better BPO or AR caller
- Can heal a femoral fracture without surgery
- What do cult leaders have in common?
- Why did God create violent psychopaths?
- What do radiology technicians do
- Are Huawei phones worth buying in 2019?
- Why do people correlate intelligence with organization
- Do criminal defense lawyers on a volunteer basis
- Is religion a zero-sum game
- Who are feminist 1
- Which book influenced you the most
- What makes a nurse disappointed
- Who is the cutest girl ever
- Personal loans hurt credit