Can a mechanical engineer apply for graduate jobs

Recognition of international university degrees
Are foreign diplomas and doctorates officially recognized?

Recognition of foreign university degrees

Will your university degree be recognized in another country? The answer to this question depends on the personal situation. If you plan, for example, to work abroad with a German university degree or to continue studying, it is important to find out about the regulations at the desired location in advance. The recognition of each qualification can differ according to state, region and municipality as well as according to individual institutions.

Even within Germany, the recognition of university degrees is not always regulated in the same way. For example, one state can recognize your degree and another cannot. But that depends a lot on what you've studied.

Which qualifications are recognized in Germany?

Have you completed your studies abroad and are planning to continue your studies in this country, to work at a university or to work in the private sector? Depending on the degree and the associated goal, the answer with regard to recognition can vary. The Lisbon Convention and the European Convention on the Recognition of Academic Degrees and University Certificates provide a legal basis for the recognition of university degrees.

Recognition of degrees in business

With various foreign university degrees, you can apply for a job in Germany. All that is required is for your future boss to recognize the qualification and hire you accordingly. To make the decision easier for the employer, you can apply to the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for a certificate assessment. This shows, among other things, which German training your university degree is comparable to.

However, if your university degree falls under the so-called regulated professions, you are not allowed to work in Germany without further ado. In order to be able to work in your profession, an official recognition of the degree acquired abroad is required in advance. This is the case, among other things, with university degrees from doctors, pharmacists or psychotherapists.

For EU nationals, the following applies: If you have obtained the academic degree to practice the profession within the EU, in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or in Switzerland, you will receive recognition in any case. If your academic degree for a regulated profession comes from another country, the recognition depends on the individual case. Here it must first be ensured that the professional qualification is equivalent to that in Germany.

Different bodies are responsible for the recognition of regulated professions. The recognition finder on the federal government's information portal "Recognition in Germany" shows which is relevant for your job. Enter your occupation there and you will receive further information on the requirements and the granting of recognition for the foreign qualification.

Recognition of degrees at universities

Instead of going into the private sector, would you like to continue studying or working at a university? In many cases, the respective university to which you are applying will determine whether your foreign university degree will be recognized for this purpose.

Regulated professions and university degrees that end with a state examination are exceptions. Here it is not the university, but the state or the responsible federal state that decides whether your qualification will be recognized. You can find more information on this and the responsible offices in the respective federal states at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), for example.

Which documents do you need for recognition?

You can apply for official recognition of your foreign professional qualification at any time. For this, the completed application form in the original must not be missing. As a rule, certified copies of the following documents are also required:

  • Identification document, such as a passport or ID card
  • Graduation certificate from the foreign university
  • Evidence of the content of the course

Depending on the type of recognition, the documents must be submitted in the original language, as a German translation or in both versions. In addition, additional documents may be requested, such as a declaration of previous applications for recognition or further evidence that contributes to recognition. The complete list including detailed explanations of the individual documents for general professional recognition can be found on the information portal of the federal government "Recognition in Germany".

Using foreign titles in Germany

Using the title after a foreign university degree is generally permitted. But there are some requirements to be met in terms of acquisition and form of the title. In the principles for regulating the management of foreign university degrees, which follow a resolution of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, it says literally: "A foreign university degree that has been awarded on the basis of a university degree recognized under the law of the home country after a degree that has been properly completed by examination can in the form in which it was awarded, stating the awarding university. " This applies to the full title as well as to the abbreviation customary in the country of origin.

In principle, however, it is not permitted to simply translate the acquired degree and use it as a German title. The degree may only be transliterated and the translation may be given in brackets as a supplement to the abbreviation from the country of origin. However, there are a few exceptions where selected foreign titles may be equated with German degrees. They can apply throughout Germany as well as only in individual federal states. One example of this is the PhD, which in many cases can be used as a doctorate in Germany without further approval.

Please note: The conversion of a university qualification acquired abroad is generally not intended and only possible under special conditions. For example, ethnic repatriates currently have a right to this.