How are files attached to an email
Send and open email attachments - send and receive text files securely
This is a step-by-step article.
I cannot open certain attached texts in e-mails or I want to make sure that the recipient of my e-mails can open my texts, although I do not know exactly which software they are using.
Send Word documents securely
Note: The following tips can only be followed in this form with Word 2010.
Word 2010 offers you very convenient options for sending documents directly from the program interface - both in Word format and in PDF or XPS format.
The format in which you send your documents depends on the one hand on the IT equipment of the recipient and on the other hand on the purpose of your e-mail.
If you want the recipient to edit the sent document or add comments, you should leave the original Word format. However, if you want to prevent the document from being further edited or formatting changed, you should use the PDF or XPS format. The PDF format in particular has proven itself well for exchanging important documents by e-mail and is standard for online applications or contracts. The reason: PDF files can be opened and viewed on all common computer systems.
Safety aspects also play a role. Word documents can contain macros. This is not the case with PDFs, so PDF documents cannot be used as virus carriers.
1. Open Word with a file that you want to email. Click on the File menu item.
2. In the left navigation area, click Save & Send.
3. You will then see that the E-Mail preselection in the middle area is already correct. In the right area click on the entry Send as attachment if you want to send the current document as a Word file.
4. Office then immediately opened a new e-mail window, with the file already inserted as an attachment and the subject line also filled with the name of the file.
5. In the right-hand area, click on the Send as PDF entry if you want to send the current document as a PDF file. Or click the Send as XPS entry in the right-hand area if you want to send the current document as an XPS file.
6. Office then opens a new e-mail window again, with the selected file type already inserted as an attachment and the subject line also filled with the name of the file.
Open Office 2010 documents in earlier versions of Office
If you receive version 2010 Office documents but are still using an earlier version of Office, the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack will help you open these files.
Download Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats
Open text files with unknown file format
Sometimes it happens that you receive text files in unknown formats as attachments by email. In this case you have a very good chance of being able to read and edit the texts, even if Windows does not offer a program for opening the files.
You should first find out which program created this file. As a rule, a Bing search with the corresponding file format (file extension) as a search term is sufficient. Then check whether there may be freeware or at least free readers available on the Internet with which the file can be opened or viewed.
If this does not lead to success, you should save the unknown file on the hard drive, check it for possible malware with your virus scanner and then convert it into a text file by simply overwriting the file extension with "txt". Confirm the security warning with OK.
You can then open the file using an editor such as Notepad. The actual text is hidden under the header information in the file and can be easily copied out. Depending on the coding of the file, umlauts and special characters are lost, so that the reconstruction of the original text often resembles a puzzle game.
Open text files from Apple Macintosh
If you receive an email with a text attachment from the Apple program Pages, there are more convenient ways to open the text, even if you don't have a converter at hand.
1. First save the archive file and all other files on your hard drive. To do this, right-click the file attachment and then select the Save all attachments command.
2. Confirm the following query with OK.
3. Select a suitable folder and click OK.
4. Then switch to Windows Explorer and locate the folder. Unzip all the archive files (ZIP files) there by right-clicking on them and then pointing the mouse to Open with in the context menu.
5. Then click on the Windows Explorer entry.
6. Windows then opens sub-folders with the files, possibly also other archives, which you should also decompress. Double-click the XML file so that it opens in your browser.
7. The text is displayed in the browser, although formatting may have been lost. Press the [Ctrl] and [S] keys to save the file in a different format.
8. For the file type, select Text file (txt).
9. Click on Save.
10. You can now load the file as a text file in the editor or in Word and edit it further. The home application's header information is no longer available.
Sources of information
For more useful information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles or subscribe to ours RSS feed
Sending and opening email attachments - Common problems and sending executable files
Send and open email attachments - Send or share large files
Send and open e-mail attachments - manage file attachments in Outlook 2010
- Is Trevon Duval in the NBA
- How do I control the device memory
- Why doesn't my CD-ROM open?
- What is the Norton Com setup
- How do I use the word however
- What is a FLSA Injury
- Why did Sweden leave the Kalmar Union?
- How does gravity cause rotation
- Which is better Brother or Canon printer
- Average size of a pizza
- What is the oldest restaurant in Atlanta
- What is HTML Parser in Python
- What is an umbilical cord in underwater
- Which president has achieved the most and how
- How are computer algorithms converted into binary algorithms
- How do analog scales work
- What is the role of state representatives
- What would happen if CERN exploded?
- Swedish schools teach evolution
- How do I complete a B Tech
- What are Robin Williams' best roles
- What is differentiation in physics
- What will Noam Chomsky's legacy be
- How many employees does Sankalp Semiconductor have