How is Naltrexone different from Suboxone
NaloxoneDrug groupsOpioid antagonists Naloxone is an active ingredient from the group of opioid antagonists, which is used as an antidote to counteract the effects of opioids. Naloxone itself has no opioid properties and is usually administered as an intravenous injection, but can also be administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly. The effect occurs quickly. The most common possible adverse effects include sweating, dizziness, light headedness, tremors, high blood pressure, nausea, and vomiting. Caution should be exercised in the case of opioid dependence, as it can trigger an acute withdrawal syndrome.
synonymous: Naloxonum, Naloxoni hydrochloridum dihydricumPhEur, Naloxone hydrochloride dihydrate, Naloxoni hydrochloridum anhydricumProducts
Naloxon is commercially available as an injection solution (Naloxon OrPha®, Naloxon Actavis®) and has been approved in Switzerland since 2004.
- The information on the combination with oxycodone is shown under the article Oxycodone and Naloxone (Targin®, peroral).
- As a fixed combination with buprenorphine, naloxone is used to treat opioid addiction (Suboxone®, sublingual).
- In 2014, a naloxone autoinjector (Evzio®) was approved in the USA, which can be administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly by relatives in an emergency.
- In 2015, a naloxone nasal spray for the treatment of opioid overdose was approved in the USA, and in Switzerland in 2018.
Naloxone (C.19H21NO4, Mr = 327.37 g / mol) is anhydrous in drugs or as naloxone hydrochloride dihydrate, a white, crystalline, hygroscopic powder that is easily soluble in water.
Naloxone (ATC V03AB15) is a competitive opioid antagonist that reverses the effects of opioids. It has the greatest affinity for the μ-receptor. Naloxone has no opioid properties and is not addictive. The effects appear quickly after administration. The half-life is about 70 minutes.
According to the specialist information. In contrast to naltrexone, naloxone is not available orally and must be injected intravenously, intramuscularly or subcutaneously. It is usually given intravenously because this is the quickest way to work.Contraindications
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Naloxone also removes the desired and undesired effects of opioids, such as pain relief.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include sweating, dizziness, light headedness, tremors, high blood pressure, nausea, and vomiting. Caution is advised with opioid addiction because acute withdrawal syndrome can be triggered.see also
Oxycodone and naloxone, tilidine, naltrexone, buprenorphine, emergency medicationliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA, D)
- Clarke S.F., Dargan P.I., Jones A.L. Naloxone in opioid poisoning: walking the tightrope. Emerg Med J, 2005, 22 (9), 612-6 Pubmed
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Goodrich P.M. Naloxone hydrochloride: a review. AANA J, 1990, 58 (1), 14-6 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 6/6/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- How can a girl dress nicely
- Offending Kanji tattoos Japanese
- How can I qualify for grocery stamps
- Can I delete google sync data remotely?
- How do I cure amyloidosis
- How can I improve my disabled horses
- Should children be allowed to curse
- Why do prices fluctuate in online advertising
- What does Amar Jawan
- Does this subliminal messaging thing work psychologically
- Will Spotify ever make money
- How does the rule of 70
- In 1946, the Guangzhou government controlled China
- What have Rajputs done for India
- What are endogenous forces
- How do i calculate sqrt n i
- What's the current biofuel going on
- What's your favorite Sam Smith song
- Can I place an IGNOU order online?
- What does a click cost
- Why are autopsies performed on animals
- What was India's largest espionage operation
- Is it okay to exercise barefoot?
- How is MAIT