Which plants are easy to root
Make two out of one: multiply indoor plants
When indoor plants are past their prime, many can easily be replaced by propagation: using cuttings or cuttings. How does it work?
New houseplants without spending money on them? Nothing easier than that. Anyone who wants to make friends or acquaintances happy or who wants to replace their own old plants with new ones can easily achieve this by propagating them. There are different methods depending on the type of plant.
Propagation by cuttings
Propagation by cuttings is an easy way to grow new plants. The most widespread is the propagation by so-called head cuttings, they consist of a shoot tip with a stem and a few leaves. Most plants (e.g. ficus species, poinsettia, money trees, rubber trees) can be propagated in this way. Cut shoots can first be placed in a water glass or planted directly in the ground.
Root formation in the water glass
One possibility is to cut off a ten centimeter long, non-woody shoot from the mother plant and place it in a glass of water. Remove any flowers, buds and some of the leaves. Place the glass in a bright place at normal room temperature. New roots form within about two to three weeks. If the cutting remains in the water glass for too long, the fine roots will form a ball - this should be avoided so that the new plant can grow well. The cutting is then planted in the substrate recommended for its species and watered lightly.
Place the cutting directly in the ground
Alternatively, it is possible to stick the cut shoots directly into moistened soil. This should be low in nutrients so that strong fertilizer cannot attack the tender roots. An admixture of perlite (volcanic glass) or sand is ideal. Place the pot in a light, warm place, but not expose it to direct sunlight. Put a plastic bag over the cutting or the whole pot so that the water does not evaporate too quickly. If new shoots form, the bag can be removed. If the young plants are strong enough, they can be repotted in a substrate that is suitable for them.
There is also the possibility of propagating plants by leaf cuttings. This works great with African violets, for example. Simply cut off a leaf and stick the stem in the ground. The new plants are best grown in a mini greenhouse. The high humidity gives them ideal growth conditions.
Propagate plants by cuttings
Offshoots, also known as Kindel, arise from the main shoot of the mother plant and are optically its miniature version. Often they already have their own roots. In particular, pineapples such as bromeliads or succulents, but also the popular green lily, for example, form such offshoots.
Once the cuttings have developed some well-developed leaves, they are large enough to be severed. To do this, cut as close as possible to the mother plant with a sharp knife disinfected with alcohol, without damaging it. Put the offshoot in a pot with potting soil, press it down carefully and water only lightly. During the entire growth phase, the plant should only be watered moderately so that the roots do not rot. The room temperature should not be below 19 degrees and the young plant should not get direct sunlight at first.
In the case of succulents, wait a few days after separating the children until the cut surface has dried. Then simply place the offshoot in a suitable substrate.
Propagate fuchsias with cuttings
If you want new plants, you don't have to go to a shop: Fuchsias can be easily propagated with cuttings. Garden expert Ralf Walter gives tips. more
This topic in the program:
North magazine | 03/26/2020 | 19:30 o'clock
- Why are thought experiments important to philosophers
- How are statistics useful to you?
- Who are the smartest YouTubers
- Which was the first graphical browser
- How much population can India afford
- Why is evaporation an endothermic process
- The air quality is getting worse from year to year
- Can we perceive space-time acoustically
- Why don't you like Annabeth Chase
- Conservatives are getting lazy
- Loyola College is open to North Indians
- Germany becomes unsafe for women
- What MIS majors should know
- What's your favorite Sam Smith song
- Where and how can you learn Reiki
- What is 3A in railways
- Are spikes good for jogging?
- What did Quora make you realize?
- Who is the protagonist in Avengers
- What's the viciousest Pokemon
- How does Bitcoin mining work?
- Who qualifies for scholarships
- Is there life in the core of the earth
- What is the future of cryptopia
- What Makes an Affiliate Site Profitable
- What is the internal process of customer support
- How many people shot President Kennedy?
- How does multiple sclerosis first come about?
- Which is greater than 99 or 1
- Why are people afraid of sociopaths psychopaths
- HD Electra Glides are good first bikes
- How is Stephen King personally?
- Who does the market value adjustment protect?
- How much do Shetland sheepdogs cost