What are the types of radiology
Radiology & Nuclear Medicine
The radiology (Radiation medicine) deals with the medical use of various types of radiation such as X-rays or ultrasound. This serves both the diagnosis and the therapy of various diseases.
With the help of various radiological procedures, Pictures of the inside of the body and thus detect pathological changes. Sometimes the patient will be there too Contrast media injected, which clarify the metabolic activity in certain areas of the body and thus improve imaging. Important imaging procedures are:
- Conventional X-ray
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Functional magnetic resonance therapy (fMRI)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- PET (positron emission tomography) and PET-CT
- SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography)
- Ultrasound (sonography)
- Scintigraphy (a nuclear medicine procedure: see below)
Interventional radiology is not about the diagnosis, but the treatment of diseases: therapeutic interventions are carried out during the imaging.
In a biopsy, for example, pathologically altered tissue is removed from the body with the aid of images (e.g. by means of CT or MRT). During an angioplasty, a narrowed or blocked blood vessel is widened with the help of a special catheter under X-ray control.
Radiation therapy is another branch of radiology. Electromagnetic waves are used to destroy cancerous tumors, for example.
Nuclear medicine is also often viewed as a branch of radiology. It uses so-called radionuclides (radioactive particles) to diagnose and treat diseases:
- With the help of radionuclides, for example, tumors and metastases can be detected.
- Nuclear medicine therapy is, as it were, radiation therapy from within. The drugs administered penetrate directly to the diseased cells and destroy them with radioactive rays. This is less stressful for healthy tissue than classic radiation therapy.
Author & source information
- Which regiment of the British Guards is the most elite
- What language did Tumblr use first
- Who are more powerful politicians or journalists?
- Can you decipher the word IMVOE?
- What is 3 plus 2
- Destroys vinegar gum
- Why is Nicolas Cage so funny
- Why do you need a backdrop
- What are your favorite Italian songs
- How did Pi come
- How old is Adrian Lamo
- What should a parent know about kindergarten?
- How do I build a speaker box
- What is integrity in cryptography
- What are five Norwegian words to know
- How did ancient Egypt see death
- Which ergonomic grips are compatible with Brompton
- What banks are in Iowa City IA
- What's your favorite moment in 2016
- How do we use the Bible?
- What do rosemary and thyme look like
- Why do Sikh girls wear a scarf
- How do you say alien in Greek
- There is a powerful flashlight that flashes