Best vegetable juice
Öko-Test: vegetable juices full of sugar
Table of Contents
- Juices as a vegetable substitute?
- Sugar in vegetable juices
- The test winners
The German Nutrition Society (DGE) has been advising for several years that more vegetables and fruit should be included in the daily menu. If possible, it should be three servings of vegetables and two servings of fruit per day.
In order to do something good for themselves now and then, many people use fruit or vegetable juices. The per capita consumption is currently still below two liters per year, but the trend is rapidly increasing. This development is to be assessed positively, because vegetables and fruits supply the body with vitamins, fiber, minerals and secondary plant substances. For example, this can also reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
But are juices really a suitable substitute for freshly prepared vegetables and fruits? Nutrients are lost through processing the juice ingredients. Vegetable juices, however, are mostly not-from-concentrate juices, the production of which is gentle. However, the juices are pasteurized, i.e. heated, to preserve them.
Therefore, heat-sensitive vitamins in particular, especially vitamin C with around 50 to 70 percent, can be lost. Most of the fiber also disappears during the process. Potassium, on the other hand, is relatively insensitive to heat and beta-carotene becomes more readily available to humans.
Juices as a vegetable substitute?
Vegetable juices are therefore not a complete substitute for daily vegetable portions - especially not in the purchased variant. Freshly prepared juices or smoothies, on the other hand, contain significantly more of the healthy ingredients. According to the DGE, a glass of vegetable or fruit juice can from time to time replace one of the five servings of fruit and vegetables.
But here, too, it is important to check the sugar content more closely. Most people are now aware that too much sugar is not exactly healthy, but can even be harmful. Some juices are also sweetened, which can be found in the nutrition table at the latest.
Sugar in vegetable juices
All juices tested by Ökotest are free from pesticide residues, most of them achieve an overall rating of "good", some even "very good". However, some juices are surprisingly sweet - some vegetable juices contain up to 100 grams of sugar, which is almost the same as that of fruit juices. However, the sugar content strongly depends on the type of vegetable: beetroot juices contain the most sugar and sauerkraut juices the least.
Such high values often come about because vegetable juices can be sweetened. Since the consumption of vegetable juices is often based on the desire for a healthy diet, the additional sweetness should be viewed critically.
The test winners
A total of 20 vegetable juices were tested - pure juices made from carrots, beetroot and sauerkraut from supermarkets, organic shops and discounters. Three of the juices received an overall rating of "very good".
On average, the products cost 1 euro per pack and came off the best in terms of ingredients. Only the carrot juice has a fairly high sugar content, which is still low compared to other juices tested. These are the top 3 placements:
- Jacoby organic sauerkraut juice, fermented lactic acid, with sea salt, 1.19 euros per pack
- K-Bio carrot juice, Kaufland, 0.59 euros per pack
- Voelkel sauerkraut juice, with sea salt, Demeter, 1.59 euros per pack
Beetroot juices should also not be drunk too often, as they are often contaminated with nitrate.
The detailed test results can be found here:
to the results
- Most children in Japan are bilingual
- How do you say swim in Tagalog
- What are some good sites for memes
- Should universities have their own police force
- What exactly happens in a collision
- Do scientists know the cause of cancer
- Which is better BPO or AR caller
- What are the reasons for taking GRE
- Knew Dumbledore of Snape's worst memory
- What is a question not worth asking
- Offending Kanji tattoos Japanese
- Why do kitchen cabinets have doors
- What are the bugs in UNIX
- What is salt in acid
- What are the advantages of e-books
- What kinds of food did Mohammad eat
- Can I do an SSC without math
- Are HCl and NaOH a redox reaction
- Who is the most influential business woman in history?
- What are Foxton's Sales Charges
- Can heal a femoral fracture without surgery
- Collects Windows 10 user data
- What are some careers in international business
- How do urban planners work