What is the formula of sodium carbonate
Sodium carbonate (soda)Auxiliary materialsSaltsBases Sodium Carbonate (Soda, Na2CO3) is the disodium salt of carbonic acid. It is a white, crystalline and strongly hygroscopic powder and is easily soluble in water. Sodium carbonate is a relatively strong base and is used in pharmacy as an auxiliary, for example as an acid regulator. It is also used as a cleaning agent and for the preparation of lye pastries. Due to its basicity, it can cause serious eye irritation if it comes into contact with the eyes.
Synonym: Natrii carbonas, Natrii carbonas anhydricusPhEur, Natrii carbonas monohydricusPhEur, Natrii carbonas decahydricusPhEur, Sodium carbonate, E 500iProducts
Sodium carbonate or soda is available as a basic substance in pharmacies and drug stores. The different products differ in the bound crystal water. It is contained in medicinal products as an excipient.Structure and properties
Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, Mr = 105,988 g / mol) is a white, crystalline, odorless and strongly hygroscopic powder that is easily soluble in water. It dissolves even better in warm or hot water. It is the disodium salt of carbonic acid and is therefore also called disodium carbonate. Anhydrous sodium carbonate has a high melting point of 851 ° C to 854 ° C. Sodium carbonate occurs naturally as a mineral and is synthetically produced using the Solvay method.
The pharmacopoeia knows three qualities that differ in the bound crystal water:
Incidentally, sodium carbonate can be obtained from sodium hydrogen carbonate by heating. This creates the gas carbon dioxide and water:
This experiment is also exciting because gas bubbles form in the powder.Effects
Sodium carbonate is a relatively strong base (pKb = 3.67). Adding 4 g to 1 L of water results in a solution with a pH of over 11. It is milder than the caustic sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The effects are based on the release of the hydroxide ion in aqueous solution. Sodium carbonate also has antiseptic properties.
With an acid, carbon dioxide (CO2):application areas
- As a pharmaceutical excipient, e.g. as an acidity regulator and in nicotine chewing gum.
- As a cleaning agent in the household, e.g. for glasses, the oven and the drain.
- For the preparation of lye pastries.
Due to its basicity, sodium carbonate can cause serious eye irritation. In the event of accidental contact, rinse with running water for at least 10 minutes. Remove contact lenses carefully and continue rinsing. The corresponding precautionary measures can be found in the safety data sheet.see also literature
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Specialist literature
- Encyclopedias of chemistry and pharmacy
- Safety data sheet
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on December 3, 2019.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- What does a structured financial analyst do
- Was Japan in recent conflicts
- What a political affiliation is Bernie
- How can I stay positive
- Why is General Joseph Dunford important worldwide
- Why disc wheels are more aerodynamic
- How can aluminum be welded
- What is x if 8x 24 40
- What was India's largest espionage operation
- Beat Nelson Napoleon
- Hire Qualcomm
- What motivates a neuron connection looking for behavior
- Where is the asteroid TW1
- What if King Piccolo killed Goku?
- How can I let femininity seep away
- How to find the multiplication factor for the wattmeter
- Why is agriculture part of the unorganized sector?
- What does ceremonial mean
- Is Chicago still the second city
- What is the Vietnamese word for reading glasses
- Why are companies changing their ticker symbol
- Who invented fluorescent tubes
- When will humanism outperform religion?
- Which coin is the best
- What is homeopathic treatment for enlarged prostate
- How many business startups are successful
- What is the divisibility rule of 37
- Vaporizes the new way of smoking
- What is automation accounting software
- What does ADAC mean in court
- What does the American president do
- How do I write with an iPhone
- What does pharmacy mean
- Which professions phycopaths normally aim for